4. Choosing a data lead
THE DATA SCIENCE SKILLSET
Who should lead data strategy? Business – IT trade-offs
- Experience working with large and messy data sets
- Enjoy exploring data and finding meaning in numbers
- Understands the function of data inside the business/industry
- Can ask the right questions
- Will challenge data and question context
IT dept in charge
Possess the proper technical skills BUT may lack the necessary business knowledge and have a tendency to focus on the perfecting the technological solution rather than providing business value.
A business dept in charge
Ensures alignment with the business strategy BUT may not fully be able to leverage the potential in the technology, and there is the risk of silo thinking or poor architectural solutions.
Who should lead data strategy?
Business – IT tradeoffs